Local History Day School (in All Saints’ Church)
Saturday 11th October 2014
On behalf of the Bell Tower Appeal, the VEHS organised a local history day school hosted in All Saint’s Church. It was an excellent event; and much appreciated by those who attended:
“I just wanted to thank you for such an interesting day on Saturday.It was beautifully prepared and organised and so full of interest and I heard very many positive and appreciative comments on the day and how full of interest it was for all of us.I do hope there will be another similar day before too long.” Ian Lloyd-Oswell
“This was a most enjoyable day. My family were amazed that I was able to go up the bell tower. It was quite an experience. I wish I’d taken a camera. The family were so jealous when they heard that we’d had a personal peal. The speakers were very good too, an informative day. Did you hear the ‘ooh’ and ‘aahs’ when we saw the delicious spread for lunch? Do please congratulate the ladies for us.” Anne Bradford
A day celebrating the history & beauty of bells, belfries, chimes and time in Worcestershire! Some forty-five folks attending; enjoying talks from our impressive line-up of speakers for this local history day:
- Chris Pickford (eminent expert on bells & bell-ringing)
- David Beacham (Worcester DAC advisor on clocks, chimes & carillons)
- David Cox (authority on Evesham Abbey)
- Chris Povey (Ringing Master of Evesham’s Bell Tower)
- George Dawson (The Bellfoundry Museum, Loughborough)
- David Hope (Great Malvern Priory)
The day was full and fascinating, and although some sessions ran a little over time, it all worked perfectly in the end.
At midday the group split into two: one set visiting the ringing chamber of the Bell Tower, and the remainder being guided by Jim Jarvis around St Lawrence’s church. After half-an-hour, they swapped over. Quite a few of the attendees were also bell-ringers, so there was some impromptu bell-ringing thrown into the mix!
In the welcome pack included the programme, leaflets from the Almonry, Friends and VEHS, an update from the Appeal, a list of attendees, and a booklet:
This day school was organised under the umbrella of the Worcestershire Local History Forum, on behalf of the Evesham Abbey Bell Tower Appeal. Many thanks to everyone who took part:
- Our speakers;
- The Worcestershire Local History Forum;
- Evesham Abbey Bell Tower Appeal;
- Rev Andrew Spurr (Vicar of Evesham), the churchwardens, and Evesham Parochial Church Council (PCC) for hosting this event at such a special place as All Saints’ Church;
- Jim Jarvis and the stewards at St Lawrence’s Church (managed by the Churches Conservation Trust);
- Huntend Books (Anne Bradford) and Bengeworth Books for their stalls;
- Sue Ablett, Merry Privett, Glenda Harrison, Patricia Millard, Gail Preece, Carmel Langridge and Carole Vizor (for helping with coffee/tea and lunch).
Also many thanks to everyone who attended! We trust you had a most enjoyable day!